Discussion Questions for Storm Watcher by Maria V. Snyder
1. How did Luke’s mother die? How does Luke feel about this? How do his brothers feel? How does his father feel? How does this affect the dynamics of the family?
2. Why does Luke want a papillon? What does his father think of that? Why? What would you do if you were Luke?
3. Describe Luke’s relationship with his father. How did it change through the course of the novel?
4. What did Luke learn while working on Willajean’s farm? Have you ever had a job? What did you learn from the experience?
5. How does Luke feel about weather at the beginning of the novel? How do his feelings change? What events in the novel led to this change? How do you feel about weather? Why?
6. Describe your personal experience with dogs. How is it similar to Luke’s? How is it different?
7. Consider the fathers in this novel. How are they similar? How are they different?
8. What makes someone a hero? Is Luke’s father a hero? The dogs? Luke? Anyone else? Do you know any real-life heroes?
9. Describe Luke’s science fair project. Describe Megan’s. How might each of them have expanded or improved their projects? Have you ever participated in a science fair? If so, describe your project.
10. What does the guidance counselor say that Luke suffers from? How does Luke feel about that? What do you fear? Is fear normal?
Mary Helen Sheriff lives in Richmond, VA with her husband, two children, and two
cats. She has an MFA in children’s literature from Hollins
University and is an experienced teacher of elementary, middle grade,
and college students. Her most recent publishing credits include
four middle grade short stories for a reading comprehension website
and a YA short story for an anthology written for Ethiopians learning
English. She is currently writing a novel and maintaining a blog where you can read her thoughts on writing and education.