Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Things We Do for Love….

By Patrice Lyle

Nothing is sweeter than having your first book released on your favorite holiday! Valentine’s Day has always been my favorite holiday because it celebrates love. Yes, I’m a total sap when it comes to love and relationships. Yes, I love getting flowers and mushy cards. Yes, I love romantic comedies and pink hearts. I love it all.

So how do my gushy emotions relate to writing? Well, as far as I see, the love of writing is very similar to love.

For better or for worse. Hmm. Where do I start? Some days my writing flows freely and without much effort, and other days it’s agony trying to squeak out one tiny word, much less a complete sentence. Some days I think my writing’s pretty good and some days I know it totally sucks. Some days I think I’ll never have enough time to write all the books I want to write and some days I wonder how I’ll ever manage to finish another book at all. But I keep writing because I love it.

For richer or for poorer. Okay, this one makes me chuckle. Yes, I’ve dreamt about making tons of money as an author (who hasn’t?) but so far that has yet to pass. I’ve spent a lot of money on my love of writing. I’ve gone to tons of workshops and conferences, most of which have required plane tickets and hotel fees, in addition to the registration. I’ve paid dues to several writers groups. I’ve bought tons and tons of craft books and writing magazines. I’ve earned a master’s degree in Writing Popular Fiction. I’ve spent money on my website, trailer and marketing. But I did all this because I love to write.

In sickness and in health. I’ve written when I was heartsick over a rejection. I’ve written when there didn’t seem to be any hope of publication at all. I’ve written when my story was in desperate need of CPR. And I’ve written myself into a corner far too many times to count. But I always kept going because I love to write.

‘Til death do us part. I wrote my first novel when I was ten years old. It was a middle grade mystery about these two girls who were shockingly (J) very similar to my sister and me. I knew what I wanted to do with my life, so I committed to making that dream happen. I’m forty years old now, so I’ve been chasing my dream of publication for thirty years. And believe me, there have been many times over the past few decades when I thought it might never happen at all. That I might literally take my dream to the grave. But my love of writing is what kept me going.

Bottom line is, I love to write so I’ve given it my all. I’ve kept on writing through the good times and the bad, just like we do in love. Faith, hope, and love totally relate to writing. Faith that your writing will resonate with an audience. Hope that someday your book will be published. And an amazing love of the craft.

Happy release day to LETHALLY BLONDE and SCARLET! And Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

ISBN 13 978-1-61603-013-1
ISBN 10 1-61603-013-5
Morgan Skully is the world's only blonde demon girl, and she's got a brand new, very unusual afterschool job. Spying for the Devil. She'd much rather use her cloak-and-dagger skills to spy on hottie-licious Derek with her friends, but the Devil won't take no for an answer. Luckily for Morgan, her new boss is kinda hot. Her assignment is simple: find out who at Pitchfork Prep is funneling secrets to the Siberian Werewolf Council. If she succeeds, pedicures and platinum highlights are just the beginning.

But if she fails…there's more on the line than killer shoes.

And take a sneak peek at the trailer that'll be showing up in some theaters. Watch for it in a theater near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment