Thursday, June 17, 2010

Interview with Kitty Keswick

Author Kitty Keswick is gearing up for a booksigning in her hometown of Turlock, CA, on Sunday, June 20 from 2-4 pm at the local Borders. Kitty mentioned that the high school in Freaksville is based on Turlock High School, where she went to school. We asked her to tell us a bit more about those high school years.

If you could go back and change one thing about your high school years, what would it be?

Nothing, I loved my high school years.
What was your most embarrassing moment? (If you aren't too embarrassed to tell it)

I competed in Speech and Debates tournaments. (I lettered my sophomore year.) One competition (on a Saturday), I was crossing the street. I had on new flats and I slipped and fell on my butt in front of some of the people that were later on a judging panel. I can’t remember if I won that debate or not, just that I fell in front of a lot of people. I’m a bit of a klutz, so this was one of many mishaps and the least embarrassing one to share.

What is your favorite memory of high school?

Too many… to list or chose. I’d say the overnight stays with the debate team. We traveled all over California. The rest is classified, so, er, my lips are sealed….yeppers, sealed.

Have you been back to Turlock High? If so, what's different? If not, do you plan to go?

Funny, I never planned on returning to Turlock. I left for college when I was seventeen and never really looked back. But Fate has a funny sense of humor (you’ll meet her in Furry), and she likes to throw wrenches in all your well-laid plans. I’m back in Turlock, not by choice. It isn’t the small farm town I remember. It’s grown, and now I get lost frequently trying to find my way around. I’m not sure if this is where I’m landing. It might be a small trip in my life’s journey. You never know where the path will take you. Sometimes it comes full circle, perhaps so you can learn something you missed? I have no clue.

Are any teachers still at Turlock High who taught you?

I have three favorite teachers who really made a lasting impression on me. Interestingly enough, they were all English teachers. Mr. Jack, my English teacher and debate coach, still teaches, but he’s at the new high school. My other favorite English teacher, Mrs. Boyle, retired. I did email her to tell her I finally sold one of my stories. And my favorite teacher who pushed me very hard, Mrs. Dillman, passed on a few years ago. I will miss her candy bars and sense of humor. We’d come into the classroom, and there would be candy bars on our desk. She’d tell us that we could touch them, but would have to describe them in a short essay. After the essay we got too munch on our treats.

Besides writing essays, do you have any writing-related memories of high school?

I used to write stories about werewolves in spiral notebooks…nothing has changed.

We know you still write in spiral notebooks, and you still write about werewolves, but you’ve added ghosts and Valkries and other beasties of the night. One other thing has changed, though. Now your tales are being published. Why did you choose to write paranormal both then and now?

I think it chose me.

When you were in high school, what did you dream of becoming? Have you reached your dreams or are you working toward them?

I always wanted to be a writer. I started out as a Journalism major, but with my dyslexia, I struggled a lot. I switched my major to Interior Design. I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t my passion, writing is. It is who I am, and my struggles just make the reward so much sweeter. I want to continue writing, because I have so many stories rattling around in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment